User Research Lab Design
We design and build Research spaces of varying size and complexity.
Building a UX or design space is a complex task, involving working with a wide range of suppliers and designers (architects, space designers, audio-visual companies, facilities departments, furniture manufacturers, electricians … and various others).
We are experienced at dealing with the complexities of building physical spaces.
We act as central Project Manager for all phases of the overall project, helping you to realise your concept design into a real space.
We have created more than 50 UX labs and design spaces – for corporate and academic institutions – in multiple locations around the world.
- audio-visual design
- architectural design
- typical problems and how to solve them
We can help with activities related to research labs and best practices:
- training on the system once built
- ongoing maintenance for completed spaces
- periodic upgrades
Until recently, there were no off-the-shelf UX labs (see ‘Lab in a box‘).
The job of designing UX labs often falls to UX researchers, who are neither trained nor skilled in this area.
Communicating requirements to Audio-Visual companies can be complex and time-consuming (and as a result, many labs are still built poorly).
- Overall design, planning, and information required to build and equip the lab
- Technical drawings for an AV vendor to build to, and documentation for users and technical staff in future
- Answers to AV and construction vendor questions relating to the AV design
- Supervision of AV and construction vendors (if needed)
- Signoff of the completed lab against the design specifications
- Provision of a written report as formal ‘sign-off’
We offer in-person and remote training on how to use UX labs, both for users (User Researchers) and support staff (Technicians):
- 1 day in-person training for users
- We will train users in how to use all aspects of the technology relating to the lab
- Attendance at first day’s use of the lab
- We will spend the first day of ‘real’ use at the lab, shadowing researchers and helping with any issues encountered
- Detailed end-user written training materials
- Simple, detailed materials used to train future users
Support & Maintenance
We provide regular checkups of all equipment and software used in labs and design centres, at scheduled times that are appropriate to your needs.
Each visit involves:
- full testing of all installed equipment
- addressing any user issues that arose since the last visit
- replacement of minor breakages
- software and firmware updates
- discussion of options for future upgrades